Swiss Village Park is a 0.57 acre mini-park located
along Central Drive in the northwestern portion of the Village.
The area, of which Swiss Village Park is a part, sits on a peninsula jutting out into Lake Orion. The land was platted as Orion Summer Home Company’s subdivision in March 1891. What is now the park was labeled “Club House Reserve” on the plat.
The park is triangular in shape and is bounded by streets on all three sides. It has been a favorite gathering spot for families in the area for years. In the mid 1960’s, the Village used a portion of the site for a well house serving the municipal water system. This well house was abandoned and torn down in 1994 when the Village connected to the Detroit water system.
The name, “Swiss Village,” comes from the topography of the area. The peninsula is steeply sloped, reminiscent of the Alpine region of Europe. Many of the houses appear to be built into the hillside rather than sitting on top of it.
Swiss Village Park features several recreation facilities in addition to open space. A small parking area is located in the northeast section of the park. Recreation facilities include a basketball hoop, playground area, swings, picnic table, checkerboard table, bike rack and benches. The park has several mature oaks providing shade.