Unger Park is part of University subdivision which was platted in December 1903 by the officers of the Lake Orion Assembly Resort. The subdivision is a former summer resort area, and it occupies the southern portion of a peninsula locally known as Bellevue Island.
The park is actually designated “park” on the plat. However, the plat did not delineate this area as being dedicated to the use of the lot owners or of the public. Today, the park is used primarily by families living in the immediate vicinity.
The park is somewhat oval in shape with Bellevue Street on the east side and West Bellevue on the west. All of the lots surrounding the Park front on Lake Orion. To date, the Village has been unable to document why the Park is called “Unger.” It is believed the park is named after Erv Unger, a Village President, in the 1940’s.
A small parking area is provided on the east side of the park along Bellevue Street. The park features several recreation facilities
including a playground, swings, picnic table, checkerboard table, bike rack and benches.